Within a great loop of the Continental Divide, surrounded by peaks, lies the valley that is today's Grand County. The broad sheltered meadows and timber covered hills attracted humans 9,000 years ago. Abundant game brought Ute and Arapaho tribes, and French trappers gave the valley the name Middle Park. Two museums in the area are owned and operated by the Grand County Historical Association.
Cozens Ranch Museum
The Cozens Ranch Museum is in Fraser on Highway 40, near Winter Park. The Ranch is one of the oldest homesteads in the Fraser Valley. It served as the area's post office and stage stop. At its peak, the ranch covered over 700 acres. Constructed during the years 1875 to 1882, the main house, post office and stage stop are restored and open to the public. In the adjoining shed is a full-size replica of the stagecoach which ran from Georgetown to Hot Sulphur Springs between 1876 and 1905. For more information, please call 970-726-5488.
Grand County Museum
The Grand County Museum in Hot Sulphur Springs, Colorado is housed in the old Hot Sulphur Springs School, built in 1924. The museum's exhibits give excellent insight into the early people and businesses of Grand county. There are artifacts from the nearby Windy Gap archeological dig which date back 8,500 years ago. The Pioneer Women exhibit highlights the often overlooked but vital role of women in settling the land. For more information call 970-725-3939.